Eggert Family Mysteries
Here are some of my current genealogical mysteries: research hot topics, gaps, dead ends. If you should have any information, advice, or tips, however slight, please send me email!
- Hackel, Charles A (*1847 Sachsen, Germany ✝︎1893 Vinita, Craig, Indian Territory, United States)
Where did Charles Hackel come from? The Hackel family history book written in 1976 only says he was from "Germany, near Austria". In his 1872 declaration of intent to become a citizen of the US, he was listed as a subject of the King of Prussia. The 1885 Nebraska state census shows his place of birth as Saxony. In his 1892 naturalization papers, he was termed a subject of the Emperor of Austria before naturalization in the US. Where was he really from, and how did he meet his future wife?
- Schmidt, Babette Hermine (*1849 Mülsen St. Niclas, Sachsen, Germany ✝︎1910 near Ord, Valley, Nebraska, United States)
Where did Babette Schmidt's family go after 1851? For many years, Babette's origin was just as mysterious as her husband Charles Hackel's. Some old family letters finally provided the clues that, with the help of the Arbeitskreis Vogtländische Familienforscher and the author of the Ortsfamilienbuch Mülsen St. Niclas und Mülsen St. Jacob 1604 - 1795, led to the identificaion of her birthplace as Mülsen St. Niclas. But her Schmidt family (her father, mother, and all her living siblings) completely disappeared from Mülsen St. Niclas after 1851, as none of them appear in the Mülsen church records after that year. Where did they go? Where and how did she meet her future husband? And why did she travel to the US with him but under her maiden name?
- Hackel, Mary Anna (*1872 near Pentwater, Oceana, Michigan, United States ✝︎1966 Grand Island, Hall, Nebraska, United States)
Where was Mary born? The Hackel family history book gives Mary's birthplace as "Bentwater, Michigan", but there is no such place in Michigan. It is probably Pentwater or Benton Harbor, but how can we be sure? The 1880 federal census gives her birthplace as Wisconsin.
- Gierke, Johann Salomon (*Dehmen bei Stralsund, Pommern, Germany ✝︎1817 Dömitz, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany)
Where is this Dehmen bei Stralsund? A musketeer in the garrison of the fortress of Dömitz in the Napoleonic era, Johann Salomon is listed in the Dömitz church records as being from "Dehmen bei Strahlsund", "Dehmern beÿ Stralsund", or just Stralsund. His father is listed as Johann Friedrich Giercke. Where is this Dehmen/Dehmern bei Stralsund?
- I am currently auditing my whole ancestral tree, adding references to church register entries, with links to online databases as available. Chief sources for this effort are FamilySearch and Archion.
Email: click here to send email.
Home Page: http://www.aegilops.com/
Copyright © 2018 by James R. Eggert, All Rights Reserved.